Friday, October 31, 2008

time to play "What do You Know?"

"Not much. You?" Is the audience response for the NPR talk show. I feel like it should be mine for anything that has to do with this quest. It would seem from the last family conversation that i can't trust some of what mom told me. She's the one who said that Gramma never learned to speak English. In the follwing I will list what I heard by accident that has always stuck with me, the things that were direct answers to questions and some of the cryptic things Grampa said to me.
  • Grampa had a brother Wilhelm: served in WWI, and was lost. Naturally I assume that meant that he had died. The helmet and service revolver that Grampa kept in the third bedroom was said to have belonged to Willie.
  • David Gerbstadt said his uncle was Wilhelm, that he emigrated and that he worked in a bakery in dearborn in the 1930's
  • Grampa talked with Marty Killian about several places in the old country associated with the family: Schwabia, Bavaria, Bohemia, Hamburg, Hannover and a large old church there that was kitty corner from the family bakery, and a place called Sachsen.
  • Grampa's dad was a baker
  • Grampa worked in the bakery as a kid and hated math, especially math involved in recipe division and multiplication
  • Mom called Gramma a Bohemian when I was being just like her and mom didn't like it. She called Gramma a Bavarian when we did homework.
  • Grampa talked a few times about Orlamunds.

What does it all amount to? Leads to be sure... but beyond that only time will teall.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sherry, wow that's very interesting info about the family. I will definitely look for this area which used to be called gerbstadt. I'm currently on my way to work in Asia for the next two weeks, but when i get back i definitely plan to visit this gerbstadt. Do you have any more info on the castle name or name of the village-town?
-james

Unknown said...

Found something else interesting.

http://monasticmatrix.org/monasticon/index.php?function=detail&id=1331

Looks like a nunery.

-james